4.20.2008

What do people and beer have in common?


They both use hops to help keep themselves fresh. Huh? That's right just yesterday I heard one of my kids say, "Improved with hops!". My ears perked up, "What?". She said, "That's what it says here on the deodorant."

It seems Tom's of Maine produces a deodorant that now uses hops. Here is description from their site.

Natural Original Deodorant Stick
Size: 2.25 oz stick
Fragrance: Calendula, Honeysuckle Rose, Unscented, Woodspice

Original Formula
Tom's of Maine created the first natural deodorant in 1976. Since then, we�ve continued to pursue innovative new natural ingredients that deliver improved odor protection. We're excited to introduce our newest natural odor-fighting ingredient hops (Humulus lupulus) which we've added to our original deodorant formula!

  • Hops inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria.
    The antimicrobial action of hops inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria while reducing the possibility of skin irritation.
  • Natural fragrance blocks odor.
    Gentle fragrance helps to mask odor.
Huh? We didn't see that when it was on the shelf. Interesting. Hey it smells good too, though not like an IPA ;-) I also found a little more info in their FAQ database. Timely find for me considering Tuesday is Earth Day and they talk about hops as a renewable resource.

So I think this means the same qualities that help keep the bad bacteria away from your beer help keep it in check in the deodorant too, but, I'm no expert.

Cheers!

Image courtesy of Tom's of Maine

4 comments:

Dave said...

Oh Lord, I hope that deorderant doesn't become popular. Then we'll really have a hop shortage! I wonder if they'll make one with a stout aroma. That's gotta be one of the wackiest things to put in a roll on.

Bryan Kolesar said...

Ah, Dave you beat me to it. My comment was gonna read something like "no wonder there's a hop shortage {winky face}"

kmudrick said...

Hah. I've actually been using that particular deodorant for quite a while. I like it a lot. I don't really get much hop aroma from it though.

Adam said...

Heheh...no hops aroma. Hey, maybe they'll be a surplus in a few years due to the suppliers ramping things up. Tom's might stand to profit :-)