8.27.2007

Brewing Beer: Using corny kegs as secondary fermenters

Checked the two belgian style ales last night. Looks like they are ready to be moved into the secondary. The only problem is that I don't have two secondaries. Hmmm....what can I do?

I'm not borrowing two glass carboys again. That's just a hassle for everybody. I think I might use my extra corny kegs. Paul has been using corny kegs as a secondary fermenter for a long time. I think I'll take a cue from him.

Time to add his page to the list of useful hombrewing links. I've used his page many times. Especially when starting to keg. Thanks Paul.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Ed from my LHBS swears by this. He claims that it is much easier and no worries about the breaking carboys.

If I came into a few extra kegs I would like to try this myself, but I gotta get the keg hook up.

Nice blog

Travis
www.CNYBrew.com

Adam said...

Ed seems like a great guy :-) At least from your recent comments. Gotta love the local home brew shops. Nice when you have somebody local to guide you.

Yeah...haven't broken a carboy yet (knock on wood).

I got a good deal from Northern Brewer on extra kegs. 4 for $80 I think. I did have to buy the CO2 regulator with gauges. Did that a while ago. It isn't cheap, but, it does save some work.

Now I have 6 kegs and I'm lovin' it.

I heard eBay sometimes has cheap soda kegs.

Thanks for the kind words. CNYBrew isn't to shabby either :-)