4.16.2008

Homebrew Blogging Day (aka Fermentation Friday)

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
- David Rains Wallace

UPDATE! The Round Up has already started over here :-) Check back daily. Final posts will most likely be made over the weekend.

In an effort to foster a community of homebrew bloggers who share their experiences and wisdom I'm proposing a Homebrew Blogging Day. Stan got the ball rolling a little over a year ago for the craft beer bloggers. In fact I've been reading over those initial posts for inspiration. Here's what I came up with...

On the last Friday of every month a different homebrew blog will host the event. Beer Bits 2 will host the first event on Friday, May 30th. The topic will be "I remember when I started homebrewing." Inspired by this months topic of The Session # 15 How did it all start for you?. Simply post about your earliest homebrewing adventures and email me the URL (beerbits2@gmail.com) or post it as a comment. As the host of this first event I'll collect and post a wrap up of all the posts.

  • Event Name: TBD, we'll vote on it and perhaps come up with a logo. Update: Fermentation Friday is the new name :-)
  • Date: Friday May 30th, 2008
  • May's Theme: I remember when I started homebrewing.
  • Who's invitited: All bloggers who have ever homebrewed.
  • Rules: It doesn't have to be the first time you brewed by yourself, but, you had to at least be present and do something like carry water or drink a beer ;-)

Well, what do you think? Who's in? Email me your topic suggestions. Let me know if you would like to host.

Cheers!

22 comments:

The Bearded Brewer said...

Love the idea. A great way to connect to other blogs and interesting way to learn about other bloggers.

Adam said...

That's what I was thinking :-) See you in May!

Cosmic said...

I saw this post on Homebrew http://beerbits2.blogspot.com/2008/04/homebrew-blogging-day.html and it reminded me of my first experiences making beer as an impecunious student in Dublin in the mid 1980's.

Massive unemployment and severe lack of anything approaching spending money that wasn't spent on college fees meant that if you wanted the taste of sweet sweet beer you had to make it yourself or be a pool hustler. I wasn't up to much at pool. (still no good at it nearly 25 years later)

So beer it was. Homebrewed beer. Me and my mate Steve were lucky in that his mother who was from Finland had left equipment and yeast in Steve's place.
We tried to make lager first. Moved it from the bucket after a week, put it into lots of beer bottles we had aquired, added more sugar (too much I reckon). We waited in anticipation of that sweet yellow nectar. Six weeks later we tried our first brew. We expected it to be a bit cloudy. We did not expect it Jet Black and utterly horrific! We were gutted. Phone calls to his mother ensued. She said she'd show us how to do it and true to her word she did. Over the next two years we made many batches, gaining confidence each time. We made lager, Stout and (bizarrely) 80 pints of non-alcoholic cider.............. not good.

Towards the end we got cocky. We started using wine yeast so the beer was ten or eleven percent by volume alcohol. It Rocked. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple full volume metal and over proof beer. Good good times. Cheap and cheerful. Our Parties wer pretty popular. Hell yeah...........

We moved to different countries, Got older, married and all that life stuff intruded on the party but I am introducing my younger brother to the joys of the homebrew in the next few weeks so the party will continue one way or another. Keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

Brew Dudes are in!

Bunz said...

I think this is a great idea. I've been brewing for 15 years and just recently started blogging http://phandlebeersnob.blogspot.com/). I'd be willing to host a day. An interesting topic might be what was the strangest brew day/strangest brew you experienced and it still turned out well.

marcus said...

I think its a great idea. I'm in and can host.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a cool idea! I need to spend a bit more time surfing other's blogs! I also need to put these things on the calender, I keep missing the sessions.
Tony aka Brew Dad

Adam said...

Thanks for the support.

Bunz, I think August could work tentatively.

Marcus, Sept for you tentatively.

Brew Dad, I hear ya. Its good to hear from you.

Rob said...

Looking forward to this.... And let me know if you need a host for October!

Adam said...

Great! Will do Rob.

Dr Joel said...

Really glad i found out about this before the first one went down. It's a great idea and i'm really looking forward to reading the posts.

Sign me up as a host whenever you need one.

Now i'm off to read the rest of Beer Bits 2.

Adam said...

Hey everybody, this comment is for all those who subscribed to this post. Dont forget Homebrew Blogging Day is coming up this Friday.

I'm looking forward to reading all your stories :-)

Dave said...

Adam,

We're good to go at Muckney. Here's the link. http://muckneybrewing.blogspot.com

Cheers,

Dave

Rob said...

G'morning! My humble addition is up at http://www.hifimundo.com/public/blog/2008/04/homebrew-blogging-day-1-on-origin-of.html

Thanks again for hosting! Looking forward to the round-up, and to next month's subject.

Rob said...

Ew, blogger didn't like my epic url. Try this instead.

Dave said...

Mine's finally up: http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com/2008/05/my-humble-homebrew-beginnings.html over at Fermentedly Challenged.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting this up! I love group blogging days.

Here's my entry.

The Dude said...

Awesome idea. I'm a bit strapped for time right now as I just started a new job and the pace of life and general has really picked up, but I'll try to get something written up this weekend. Is late submitting OK?

The Dude said...

OK, I couldn't stand it. I had to write up something quick. This is a subject near and dear to me.

Here is my post. I hope I'm not too late.

Adam said...

David, Rob, Chipper, Keith, The Dude,

Much appreciated. I think I got all the links straight.

Jason said...

Adam,
Love the concept. Hopefully I'll get something written for the next one. The T-shirt idea is awesome too.

Cheers,
Jason

Adam said...

Thanks!

Seems like we have some good energy going. I just need to get organized on this end. Lots of kids sports stuff going on here :-)