8.18.2009

20 gallon batch with a 5 gallon starter?

It's been a while eh? Thanks everybody for helping out with Fermentation Friday. Always looking for volunteers :-)

So, back to the topic of this post. My plan is to brew a 20 or 25 gallon batch by brewing a 5 gallon batch and transferring it into a 15 or 20 gallon batch (two ten gallon batches). I'll be using my 32 gallon brute garbage can for the fermenter.

Anybody ever try something like this? I'm thinking my pitching rate might be a bit high, but, I don't think it will hurt the beer too much. If anything it might make the flavor profile a bit too clean. No big deal.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Adam said...

So if it wasn't clear, I'll be using the first 5 gal batch as the yeast starter.

Still need to figure out how I'm going to brew all that beer for a 20-25 gallon batch.