3.28.2009

Brewing fantasy becomes reality...

Spent the night with a friend envisioning a larger brewing system. Right now I'm a bit limited. Extract brews in a six gallon (24 quart) stock pot. Almost full boils or double batch partial boils. All this on my electric kitchen stove. If you followed my twitter digest the other night you'll see it takes me about four hours to brew five gallons.

What if I could heat water faster? What if I could brew more at a time? What if I finally learned how to brew all grain? Well it's all gonna happen. First a new propane burner. Then a keggle. Finally a mash/lauter tun. The burner and the keggle spigot fittings are on their way. The three tier system with the mash/lauter tun will be built over the next month or so.

10 comments:

Jeremy said...

Dude, that's exciting! Let me know once the stuff arrives... I will give ya a hand.

Adam said...

I think you need a beer fridge. I need someplace to store all those kegs ;-)

marcus said...

With all grain you can be more versatile with styles, but it also makes brew day ~6-7hr commitment. It takes commercial breweries the same amount of time to brew 10-30barrels...

That would be my only gripe.

Have fun with recipe formulation!

Adam said...

Yeah, probably one of the reasons it has taken me so long to consider it.

Any suggestions for a first brew. I'll probably start in a month or so.

Bryon said...

I love my propane turkey cooker... I always hated the long boil wait time on the stove top...

Adam said...

I think the biggest change will be the whole outside thing. Of course with warmer weather coming, that's no big deal.

Brian said...

very nice Adam!

Personally I've been a MUCH happier brewer ever since I did the upgrades of an 8 gallon pot & my "Bayou Classic" propone setup.Ever since I've got my all grain batches down to 5.5 hours WITH cleanup..

Looking forward to seeing how your sculpture goes..I've been dreaming of doing my own for a while now and you just might be the last bit of motivation. Cheers! Brian

Adam said...

:-) Thanks Brian. That sounds very doable.

Just remember its all Bryon's fault...heheh.

Travis said...

You are going to be a happy man. I recommend going with a way bigger cooler than you think you will need. You'll be happy you did so when you start calculating the water on a big beer.

Adam said...

Travis, you got me thinking about my configuration. So much so that I put up a new post asking for peoples ideas.