11.22.2008

A porter is born...from BB2 readers :-)

Two brews have been inspired by BB2 readers. First an easy drinking wheat beer. Not the IPA or the Imperial that some of you suggested, but, something for the masses around the holidays. Then I got selfish. It was time for something more. Adeptus mentioned the porter and linked to his recipe. I held back for the first batch, but, last night I decided it was time to get back into something darker. Remember I'm trying to use up the ingredients I have instead of spending more money. I kept the target abv. reasonable at around 5% and well here's the rest...
  • 3.3 lbs of extra pale LME
  • 4 lbs of wheat LME
  • .25 oz chocolate
  • .25 oz roasted malt
  • .25 oz special B
  • 1 oz cascade 60 min
  • .5 oz fuggles 20 min
  • .5 oz fuggles 10 min
  • Safale S-04 English Ale yeast (4th pitching)
Its fermenting away. Actually I made a 5 gallon batch and a 1 gallon batch. I'm going to experiment with some cocoa powder and see if I can make my wife a chocolate beer :-) I'll probably add the chocolate at bottling time. Thanks BB2 readers for the inspiration and help.

5 comments:

Barry M said...

Looks nice. I like what Special B brings to a dark beer. Nice dark fruity flavours for Chrimbo :)

Adam said...

In deep dark voice...

Heheh...very good. Should taste like Belgian Trappist ale.

kmudrick said...

I've made a porter twice now with cocoa powder in the boil (last couple of minutes.) That's the approach Jamil takes with his chocolate hazlenut porter. There is so much cocoa buildup that falls out during conditioning that gets left behind when I rack - I'd think if you add at bottling time, you're going to get a large amount at the bottom of every bottle, no matter how well you stir it into your bottling solution.

Anonymous said...

I attempted a cocoa oatmeal stout and added the cocoa (8oz for a 5 gallon batch) or the last ten minutes of the boil. After a week in primary, I racked to secondary. We tasted it at bottling and it had good flavor and most of the cocoa was in the bottom of the carboy so clarity was good. Unfortunately, we had a contamination with a wild yeast strain so it tasted like nail polish remover. I still contend it would have been good otherwise. Hope yours goes better. I dumped the bad batch two weeks ago and shed a tear in the process. By the way, if the cocoa addition sounds a bit excessive, I found that info on a few message boards including home brew talk. Bill

Adam said...

Thanks for the tips. I guess we'll see how it comes out.

I'm liking this brewing every week. Won't be able to do that this weekend though. Right now I have two session beers, the beer from teach a friend to brew day and this deep dark porter. That ought to hold me for a while even through the holidays.