12.18.2007

A real beer blog post.

Blogs sometimes stray from a topic either intentionally or unintentionally. I'm feeling a bit reflective today so get ready for a tangent. Skip to the bottom of the post if you want to hear about beer.

What am I doing with this site? What the heck kinda site is this anyway? Well it is a blog. What's that? Here is the current entry from Wikipedia...

A blog (a portmanteau of web log) is a website where entries are written in chronological order and commonly displayed in reverse chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art (artlog), photographs (photoblog), sketchblog, videos (vlog), music (MP3 blog), audio (podcasting) and are part of a wider network of social media. Micro-blogging is another type of blogging which consists of blogs with very short posts.

Well "blog" may well be the more accepted portmanteau (new word for me) of web log, but, I think Grove's Beer Log site name suggests alternate roots for this portmanteau, "beer log" or perhaps "brew log". Fits this corner of the blogosphere much better don't you think? (Or is that beerosphere?)

Whew! Still not done with the larger tangent here. In the next post I'll write a bit more about what I'm doing on this site or I'll at least make it up as I go along ;-)

BEER RELATED CONTENT!
Oh yeah...the two carboys of 1620 Just in Time Ale are still waiting to be kegged. Actually these were a bit different, but, still based on that recipe. Perhaps we'll call it 1620 Second Time Around ale.

Prost!

2 comments:

Travis said...

I totally agree. I would divide your division once more. To me, in the beerlogosphere (yea I just came up with that) there are three different kinds of blogs:

Beer tasting - Some examples would be A Good Beer Blog(though this does feature a lot of news, it's also really big in the reviews)

Brewing - I would say Grove would be a great example of one of those

Brew culture and life - For this I would also say A Good Beer Blog, Stonch and the Beer Lounge.

There are other blogs that are "brewery blogs" which are pretty cool, but a little less viral than the passionate beer drinker that decides to start writing.

Oh, and then you have the Southern Culture on the Skids, but I am not sure where they fit in...perhaps inbreeding fancy?

Adam said...

Just about sums it up.

Oh...I don't venture that far South. Sumthin' in the water I think. Not good for the beer ;-)