11.21.2007

1620 Just in Time Ale: First Impressions

The 1620 has been in the fridge on CO2 for 24 hours now. What does it taste like? Actually...not too bad. I'm impressed. Of course the stuffy head from my cold doesn't help the situation. It is light, malty and the hops are more present than I expected. Not in a bad way though. Next time I might mute them a bit more by adding them earlier in the boil or maybe not adding as much. There is yeast in suspension and you can taste it a bit. I don't think it will be a huge drawback.

Overall it tastes like some kind of English ale (mild, bitter, pale?). The yeast leaves behind just enough malt to give it some body. Watch, I'll taste it in a day or two after the cold is gone and say something completely different ;-)

Let's switch gears a bit here. I'm not one to reflect on Thanksgiving too much. I mean I've done my share of reflecting, just not on Thanksgiving. I am thankful for the people in my life and all the things I have. (ok not really in the mood, time to switch gears again) I'm especially thankful for the 5 lbs of hops pellets I bought a while back along with that 33 lb jug of light malt extract! ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving and remember there is no proof that the Pilgrims set anchor at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. In fact the Mayflower's crew did have some beer left for the voyage home. After all who would want to be stuck out to sea without their liquid bread!?

~Peace~

No comments: