11.20.2007

1620 Just in Time Ale: Almost at the target Final Gravity

In a recent comment Sarah over at Michigan Beer Buzz suggested a name for this beer, 1620 Pilgrim Ale. I kept the 1620 and called it 1620 Just in Time Ale.

Note: Check out this page from Author Bob Skilnik about Beer & The Pilgrims. Looks like the only beer they likely had, if any, would have been from the stores on the ship. In light of that little bit of history I'm apt to rename my beer. Hmmm...

By the way it is still slowly bubbling away. Much of the visible yeast has fallen out of suspension. I took a sample last night and the specific gravity is around 1.015. BeerSmith tells me the final gravity is supposed to be around 1.014 so it is pretty close.

How does it taste? Good question. I have a cold right now and my sense of taste and smell are shot. All I could tast was a mild beer with yeast. Oh well I guess I'll find out soon enough. Maybe Bryan or Jeremy would be willing to taste it for me tonight :-)

What's next? Here's the schedule...

  • keg and force carbonate tonight
  • let sit for 24 hours at room temp to finish fermentation (I assume the pressure and the carbonation won't prevent this)
  • Wednesday night I'll put it in the fridge to see if I can settle the yeast out some more
  • might try using gelatin to get the yeast to fall out of suspension (never did that before)

If you have any tips you would like to pass on, I'm all ears :-)

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think 1620 Just In Time Ale is a perfect name because of the double meaning: the reference to the pilgrims finding land just as their provisions ran out and just in time for the Thanksgiving, given this was a rapid brew!

Thanks for giving me credit for part of the name.

Sarah

Adam said...

You're welcome :-) And thank you for the help.

Happy Thanksgiving!