10.30.2007

Digging around for that Thanksgiving recipe...

Ok...Thanksgiving will be here before you know it. That means I need to get brewin'. Hmmm...where is that recipe I brew every year? Ok...here it is. Boy did I take poor notes. I guess I got most of it.
  • German Ale Yeast White Labs
  • 1lb Briess 10L Crystal Malt 6 row
  • 1lb Briess 2L White Wheat Malt 6 row
  • 1 oz. Tettnang pellet hops 3.9%
  • 1 oz. Hallertau pellet hops 4.6%
  • 5.5 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
Ok...well I'll need to change this up a bit. I don't think I have the Malted Wheat Grain. Not sure if I have the Tettnang. I'll have to substitute some liquid malt extract for the dry. I don't want to mess with it too much, because I know they liked it before. Looks like a trip to the home brew store is in order. Hmmm...I wonder if they would notice if I changed it. I hope they're not reading ;-)

Cheers!

7 comments:

Travis said...

You know, I almost never use 6 row malt. I need to expand my horizons.

Adam said...

You know, I'm not sure I know the difference. I probably wrote that down in the interest of capturing all the information I could about what I did.

I guess I should look into it now :-) Here is an interesting link to check out...

http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/schwarz.html

Bryan Kolesar said...

Hm, yes....like the article, I recall reading elsewhere that 6-row is rarely used for brewing...It's not ideal, though I don't recall the exact reasons.

Jonathan said...

Make sure you add cranberry sauce!

Adam said...

Remember good ol' cranberry lambic from Sam Adams. I wonder if I would like it any better now.

Bryan Kolesar said...

Interesting take on 6-row last night on The Brewing Network. The guys were discussing the limitations/disadvantages of using 6-row barley. While I don't plan to investigate the validity of any of these statements, the guys are all pretty advanced homebrewers. Here they are, quickly in bullet format:

- more husk, more protein/enzymes, more tannins
- less body (they didn't all buy into this one)
- a different taste (they didn't define "different"), that effectively needs to be "mellowed out" by the addition of corn and rice
- compartively is much cheaper than 2-row (guess that wouldn't be a disadvantage, eh?)
- 6-row often used in production of malt liquors (largely because of cheapness of 6-row barley)
- A-B uses 6-row (I don't know if they meant exclusively, or some portion of the grain bill)

Adam said...

Thanks Bryan. Seems pretty consistent with what I've read. I like you don't plan to investigate this, but, perhaps someday when I decide to go all grain.

You know, for as much as I like to read homebrewing stuff. I really don't tap into the podcast world as much as I could. Hmmm...I think it is because I don't have a place in the house where I can listen to it easily. Gotta get that space in the basement carved out...some more.